Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Class Updates 4/8-4/9 and Erie Canal Diary Entry

Yesterday, April 8th, we has a substitute and did a bunch of worksheets on the Oregon Trail.

Today, April 9th, we read about the Erie Canal and made a chart on the effects of it.


Diary Entry (New Yorker):

I don't like the new Erie Canal. The canal brings strangers. Strangers bring disease and crime to our peaceful town. The dreaded cholera disease spreads like weeds, without a hint of stopping. On top of that, when the feeder canal freezes, our streets flood.

The trade is good and many people are prospering economically, so I suppose it isn't all bad. Goods are cheaper and easier to ship. More job opportunities have arisen. People can travel easier. Bridges have been built in nearby farms that were cut in half by the canal.

 Still, I prefer my quiet town. I might seek out new land to the west, to get away from all this hustle and bustle.

No comments:

Post a Comment